Italia’s government has said it will ban travelers from seven countries from flying into and out of the city by Monday.
A government spokesperson told Italian media the ban will apply to the first group of travellers arriving on Monday, and then to any others arriving on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.
It is the first time the city has imposed a travel ban since October last year.
The ban was announced on Monday by Prime Minister Matteo Renzi, who has said he will veto the bill if it goes ahead.
In addition to the seven banned countries, Italy is facing criticism from European countries over the closure of its borders and a lack of cooperation with the U.S. to stem the influx of migrants and refugees into Europe.
European Union President Donald Tusk warned the country will be “on the brink” of a “catastrophic” humanitarian crisis.